Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Now that we've harvested the wheat, let's make the bread

My family and I, we throw each other ideas of experiments from time to time, so this time, we started out watching this link. It was not a bi-coastal challenge, because I'm not on the other coast, but maybe we could say that it was a multi-regional bread experiment.

The thing is that the oven is set at 500 degrees and maybe the nob on the lid on your favorite pot isn't meant to take that temperature! (Let the smell of plastic tip you off, if the smoke detector doesn't!)







But Hey! The Bread's worth it!

We all love good, crusty baguette, artisan boule, peasant bread in a lovely round loaf... and so we were crusading to make our own.



We had many email exchanges between us, and this is the link that went just a little further... but I've kicked this one out of my experiment. Maybe later on...by adding the white whole wheat flour and upping the salt a little, I think I've got as much flavor as the second version promises. (Recipe to follow).



















So I'm thinking that if the main principle is that you cover the pot for the first half (approximately) of the baking time, why couldn't you use a different pan, the same strategy of locking in the moisture and create baguettes instead of the pot-shaped loaves.


Grabbing the baguette pan I happen to have, I locked in the gap created by the little troughs and wrapped the whole baguette pan in a long sheet of tin foil, trying to give it a little steaming space above the dough. Considering that baguettes are around $4 for a good one, these were a fraction of that... not to mention gratifying to make. Fingers crossed as they went into the oven!



My neighbor and I have been discussing it and she's been helping me troubleshoot the process, so to celebrate, she made some of Ina Garten's Italian Wedding Soup to go with the baguettes - whether failure or fantastic. And Abbondanza!


I altered the recipe a little from the first video, and I'm changing the baking temperature and times. Here's what I came up with after referring to the Joy of Cooking (1997-rev. ed. pg.752), Hard Rolls or Vienna Rolls.

The No Knead Baguette
2 1/2 c. Unbleached All Purpose flour
1/2 c. White Whole Wheat flour (find it - you'll be glad)
1/4 t. yeast
2 t. Sea Salt (Grey French, because I'm snotty)
1 1/2 c. Water (plain, cold tap, because I'm not snotty)

Mix this up, dry ingredients first, then add the water. Leave it covered on your kitchen counter for 12 - 20 hours.
Heat the oven to 425 degrees, then turn to the bowl of dough.
Split the dough in half on a floured surface then roll and stretch it into the two sides of the baguette pan. It's sticky, so flour your hands just a little bit and do your best. Snip the dough in 4 diagonal cuts with a scissors or knife... or don't, but it's traditional baguette to have those diagonals.
Bake loaves in completely wrapped-up baguette pan for 15 - 20 minutes. Figure it out based on the average heat of your oven... if it's hotter, go the 15...you get it.
When the timer goes off, uncover the pan and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes, watching for a golden brown color and that wonderful, bread's-done smell.



People, that's what I'm talking about! It helps if you have enthusiastic neighbors, friends and family.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home