Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Almazuelas Inn - Day Two

With the gardens still under construction, the houses stand tall and almost formal.

So this is where we landed...okay, not in the glass of wine per se, but we had some good ones on this patio. This place is located just above Portugal on the Spanish Atlantic Coast. White wine is actually more the specialty of this area, but we drank our share of the red, even so.


See these nice white rocks around the cork tree? (Yes, that is a cork tree). Well, we weeded around and placed all those rocks. Not just here, but around the entire yard! (One must pay for one's board...)


We took a walk across the road and along the crest of the hill when suddenly, we come across these two all tied up and looking kind of territorial. They were stomping at us and looking ready to rewrite some kid's horror story about goats. We named the one "Clothes Pin" for the obvious reason, but I kept thinking that contraption was probably a rather defensive fixture. Maybe this guy likes to butt a lot and this was the easiest way to grab him, though I never asked.




And wouldn't I find my favorite sage sitting astride a large boulder such as this?

Our anniversary celebrants took off for the rest of their adventures (which were numerous and arduous, to say the least - troopers, they are!) and we carried on their good works. I managed to douse this guy unintentionally with a cannonball in the pool before their departure. Not the most fitting treatment for a grand departure...

How quaint is this? Bread delivery boxes on the front gate with that rain shield! (I suppose you could get your newspaper there, too, but it seems that it's actually a bread box).

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie DuRose said...

Oh, man, do I love that photo of the rainproof bread receptacle! I'm living in the wrong country, for sure . . .

6:55 PM  
Blogger woodlandcreature said...

...and I'll be looking forward to many, many photos of the same such discoveries when you're out, J! I think you guys are going to get an eyefull of a lot more than I've seen and I'm really excited for you!

9:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She met the old sage in Galicia
Who said to her, 'Dearest Alicia
With talents prodigious
And style sacrilegious
Your blog is a much-welcomed piecia.'
A.Non Ymous

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home