Saturday, November 16, 2013

If you can't be a good example, be a warning...

A friend at work who brews beer had an opportunity pop up over the weekend that he was intending to use his sap to brew.  So he offered it to me, knowing that I am part of a Sugar Camp each March.  So I went to his house and his wife and I loaded my truck up with many 5 gallon buckets of sap. 

This pot was put on the stove at 6:15 A.M. Saturday morning... and I'm thinking it's just going to take one day...  HA!

The one pot started turning golden, but there were about 40 gallons to evaporate.

About early afternoon, I started to realize that the one day idea was more like a pipe dream.  So I added the Weber to help evaporate what was still about 36 gallons of sap.

The face of stupidity... what the hell was I thinking???




 



After I ran out of wood to help the Weber (and do you REALLY want to run the sap boil using Briquets? Uh, no!), I brought both pots into the house with both front burners on their ROCKET setting.  My kitchen was HOT.  I think I have a melt spot on the bottom of the cabinet doors... nice.

6 A.M. Monday morning - after two full days, round the clock, of bubbling sap, I got 3 quarts of syrup.  Precious, valuable, delicious liquid brown.

Moral of the story...
DON'T BOIL DOWN SAP INDOORS!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home