Sunday, August 02, 2009

The next project

You didn't think that I was only messing up my entire back yard, did you?

Oh no! I had to mess up my kitchen and dining room, as well. After I got a new window framed into my kitchen on the East wall, I dissembled this shelf and pot rack. (You can't tell that there's a lot of stuff on there, so I'll add another, more complete photo).



So the basic premise was that I had 2 X 6 main supports against the wall on the two ends and the 2 X 4 legs out front with 1 X 4s bracing horizontally. I ran shelves that were 1 X 4s on top (for pottery and such) and then 1 X 3s below for the cat to sit above the heat vent (which the shelf sort of straddled) or for jars of rice and such.



With the new window framed in, I wanted to open the space up a bit, since the other shelf had cut the access to the area down to only a smaller person's comfort level...I, myself, had gotten a couple of bruises from the corner of the shelf (and I'm no double-wide, mind you). So I thought about framing in the window side of the wall instead of the heat vent side...




So as I'm building this thing, I'm putting stuff on the shelves to get all of it out of my dining room or off my kitchen counters (which have all been as messy as my backyard of late). And the cookbooks have been on my kitchen counters in an unused corner, but now they have a better home.




This is a great shelf to have in a kitchen like mine (from the 1930s when they really didn't do much more than boil potatoes - obviously - otherwise they, too, would've created more storage shelving). This was all scrap wood construction, but it's something that really pleases me deep in my pioneer spirit.



I love the wine glasses up high, because they are out of the way with the plates that have lived next to my sink for more years than I care to recount...I think I'll trim out the fronts of the shelves so they don't look so rough, but I'm content with all the space I've gained and regained from the mess that was once cluttering my kitchen spaces and dining room table.

Ah yes, now I'll put down the power tools and crack a cold one...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home