Thursday, August 06, 2009

Railings





Okay, let's review... This is where we begin. So, getting the railings started is what's on the evening's agenda...



So we had notched out the posts yesterday and I ran all over to find galvanized lag bolts for the corner posts, which we'd only notched out to 30% instead of 50%. I figured, why do you buy a 4 X 4 post unless it's to take advantage of the strength of the thicker material? But that meant that we needed to screw into the wood instead of bolting through it, which we did on the other posts. (If I'd thought about it, I would've done some progress shots of the notching out, but again, I'm .25 FTE on this project and photographer is a side line to the real work). Sorry...

Oh, and see that big stack of boards? Those got cut for the privacy side of the railings. I'm pretty close to my Northern neighbor and I don't really care to be watching her dine with her guests... And as luck would have it, the leftovers from cutting the panel boards will do nicely to rebuild the stairs. I hadn't planned on that, but it seems they are only an inch shy of the existing stairs. Perfect!!!



This is where we leave the project, since all staff are otherwise occupied for the next week or so. I have my work cut out for me (Ha!), since I am now beveling and cutting the spindles for the rest of the railings. That and cutting up the rest of the privacy panel boards. As you can see, we only built the one side last night before the beverages came out...power tools get put down at that point. It's just good business.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lucas said...

So, who is the .75 FTE? ;)

2:51 PM  
Blogger woodlandcreature said...

John is also the 1.75 (he's the braun and the brains, while I'm mostly the brains and only consider myself braun...I'm a whimp, let's face it!)

3:25 PM  
Blogger woodlandcreature said...

oh my god, I'm spelling BROWN in French! Brawn, people, that's what that is (and I ain't got it!)

[Insert picture of paper towel guy here!]

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home